(Also Read: This Is How You Make Button Podi Idlis At Home)
As you may have guessed, idli 65 is a spin on the iconic chicken 65. It is said that the dish was first introduced in Hotel Buhari of Chennai in the year 1965 and was one of the most popular dishes among Indian soldiers. Of course, there are many popular myths pertaining to the origins of the dish. And we are not even surprised, the more popular the dish, the more the legends. That the dish has been used as an inspiration for so many other snacks like paneer 65, gobhi 65 and idli 65 is testimony of its iconic popularity.
Here’s how you can make idli 65:
1. Cut idlis in small cubes.
2. Add maida in a bowl, followed by corn flour, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt, ginger garlic paste. Mix them together.
2. Add lemon juice and water, make a slurry.
4. Put all the idly chunks in the slurry. Mix until all idli chunks are well-coated.
5. Fry the idli chunks on medium flame until golden brown. Take them out on a plate.
6. To prepare the tadka. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, whole red chillies, curry leaves. Sautee them.
7. Pour this tadka on top of your crunchy idli bits that you just fried.
Find the detailed recipe with all ingredients in the video above. Do tell us how you liked the recipe in the comments below.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.